National Archives

Share research or information you have found.

National Archives

Postby Eight Pence A Day » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:42 am

Found the following entries in The National Archives online.

1775 Apr 15
Philip Stephens. Have given directions for the transports, in which the 22nd, 40th, 44th and 45th Regiments of Foot are to embark for New York, with all possible speed and are sending copies.

1775 May 5
Philip Stephens. Mr. Foxworthy, Naval Officer at Kinsale informs us that on the 24th April the transports Argo, Spy and Seville arrived at Cork and the Three Sisters arrived on the 25th, to take on board part of the 44th and 45th Regiments of Foot to go to Boston. They parted company with the rest of the transports soon after leaving the Downs. The 44th Regiment has arrived at Cork, the 40th and 45th are marching there and the 22nd Regiment is at Kinsale. The transports with Regiments for Boston sailed on April 28th
Alistair Wilson, Pte
H.M. 22nd Regt. of Foot

GOD SAVE THE KING
Eight Pence A Day
Line Company
Line Company

Re: National Archives

Postby Eight Pence A Day » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:22 am

Also found the following, however no specific dates are given.

RICHARD LONGFORD
Born BICKS, Oxfordshire
Served in 22nd Foot Regiment; 9th Foot Regiment; Royal New South Wales Veterans; 102nd Foot Regiment; 3rd Foot Regiment; 75th Foot Regiment; 88th Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 62

Covering dates 1781-1823
Alistair Wilson, Pte
H.M. 22nd Regt. of Foot

GOD SAVE THE KING
Eight Pence A Day
Line Company
Line Company

Postby nistle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Great find Eight Pence.

Eight Pence A Day wrote:Also found the following, however no specific dates are given.

RICHARD LONGFORD
Born BICKS, Oxfordshire
Served in 22nd Foot Regiment; 9th Foot Regiment; Royal New South Wales Veterans; 102nd Foot Regiment; 3rd Foot Regiment; 75th Foot Regiment; 88th Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 62

Covering dates 1781-1823

That's some service he gave. Does it list what rank he was? How common would it be for an enlisted soldier to move to different regiments?

1775 May 5
Philip Stephens. Mr. Foxworthy, Naval Officer at Kinsale informs us that on the 24th April the transports Argo

For some reason I got the Thunderbirds theme tune in my head when I read that :lol:
nistle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Eight Pence A Day » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Thank you Brains!!

From what I've been reading in various sources it wasnt at all uncommon for men to transfer between regiments in this period. But I've yet to have seen another account of anyone serving in as many as this gentleman.

It was of particular interest for me that he should have served with the 102nd as this was a unit specifically raised for service in Australia and went out with the second fleet. It was known as "The Rum Corp" due to their unofficial monopoly on alcohol, which was often used as currency due to the shortage of coin in the colony.
Private, 102nd Foot "The Rum Corp"

The regiment only fought one battle, during the Castle Hill Rebellion in 1804. A number of Irish convicts took up arms in New South Wales but were defeated at the battle of Vinegar Hill on 4th march. The unit was disbanded in 1823 and seems to have been ravaged by corruption of one sort or another for most of it's existance.
Alistair Wilson, Pte
H.M. 22nd Regt. of Foot

GOD SAVE THE KING
Eight Pence A Day
Line Company
Line Company

Postby Eight Pence A Day » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Oh I forgot to say that no it doesnt list his rank, I have been trying to track him down elsewhere but havent found anything yet.

Was hoping that I might find something with his date of birth on it and then we might know if he served in America or not either with the 22nd or one of the other line regiments he had been in.

I will continue to search and report back if anything turns up.
Alistair Wilson, Pte
H.M. 22nd Regt. of Foot

GOD SAVE THE KING
Eight Pence A Day
Line Company
Line Company

Postby Firelock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 pm

. . .And before any of you ask, NO you can't take your pay in RUM! What a bunch of vagabonds and rascals . . and i'm sure some of the convicts were the same . .its hard not to like them . . :D

(on a serious note this is all very interesting stuff . . . a sort of 'early Eureka Stockade' as it were?)
Cpl Wilson
HM 22d Regt of Foot

'God bless their Majesties . . and sucess to British Arms'!
Firelock
Pioneer
Pioneer

Location: Barracks . .or the Tavern . . . or Mrs Wilson's House of Negotiable Affection

Return to Research