In their own words . . .

Discuss the history of the period

In their own words . . .

Postby Firelock » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Just thought i'd start a thread with some interesting quotes from people who lived through the period we portray . . Prince or pauper, Rebel or Redcoat, there are some thought provoking comments out there . . . i'll start a few off . .

'Nothing important happened today' - George III, diary entry 4th July 1776 (though some say this is an apocryphal tale linked more to Louis XVI's comment 'rien' in regard to a days hunt on 14th July 1789)

'The New England colonies are in a state of rebellion... Blows must decide' - George III

'We are involved in the calamities of a civil war' - Rev John Rodgers (Whig Preacher) in a sermon, January 1776. New York Presbyterian Church, Wall St, New York.
Cpl Wilson
HM 22d Regt of Foot

'God bless their Majesties . . and sucess to British Arms'!
Firelock
Pioneer
Pioneer

Location: Barracks . .or the Tavern . . . or Mrs Wilson's House of Negotiable Affection

Re: In their own words . . .

Postby Eight Pence A Day » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:13 pm

One of my favourites:

The Rev. Dr. Mather Byles, Sr. (1706-1788)
Which is better? To be ruled by one tyrant three thousand miles away, or by three thousand tyrants not a mile away?

Remembered more now for being used in "The Patriot". Byles was unusual amoung his community being one of the few citizens of Boston who was a Loyalist.

There is some debate as to the reliability of the quote as it wasn't written down untill well into the 19th Century. But I think it sums up the possition many of the Colonists found themselves in in 1775.
Alistair Wilson, Pte
H.M. 22nd Regt. of Foot

GOD SAVE THE KING
Eight Pence A Day
Line Company
Line Company

Re: In their own words . . .

Postby Firelock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 am

A little out of context but stay with me on this one . .

Today the Space Shuttle Discovery completes STS-133, it's last mission before retirement. This venerable Spacecraft is of course named for the famous ship of Capt James Cook, the great 18th century explorer.

In 1778, Ben Franklin draughted a 'passport' that was issued to Captains in the Continental Navy and to privateers in the service of the Continental Congress. In it, it stated that should they come across any ship commanded by James Cook (he also commanded the ships Endeavour for which another Space Shuttle was named . .complete with 'Anglicised' spelling, and Resolution) then they were to treat him and his crew 'with all civility and kindness' and described him and his crew as 'common Friends to all Mankind'. A most rational and forward thinking attitude despite the state of war existing between the two countries.... both truely men of the Enlightenment.
Resolution_and_Discovery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cpl Wilson
HM 22d Regt of Foot

'God bless their Majesties . . and sucess to British Arms'!
Firelock
Pioneer
Pioneer

Location: Barracks . .or the Tavern . . . or Mrs Wilson's House of Negotiable Affection

Return to Period History